Friday, January 10, 2014

No Self Control by Peter Gabriel

While writing a sermon this week I thought of Peter Gabriel's 1980 release, simply titled Peter Gabriel. The former front man of the progressive rock group Genesis, struck out on his own. Ever a visionary madman, Gabriel bucked the system and released his first three solo projects with no title other than his name. As a result fans and marketers have had to differentiate them by the album cover art of by numbering them. The 1980 release is Gabriel's third solo album and is sometimes called Peter Gabriel 3 or Melt based on Gabriel's face melting on one side in the cover art.

According to a Wikipedia article on the album, Gabriel's dark lyrics were meant as commentary and caution to a world he saw slipping further into moral decay. The song No Self Control can be interpreted as a tragic look into the experience of a psychopathic killer or rapist.

Give it a listen. http://youtu.be/3yEcTB2va5E


No Self Control
by Peter Gabriel


Got to get some food
I'm so hungry all the time
I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop

Got to get some sleep
I'm so nervous in the night
I don't know how to stop
No, I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop

Got to pick up the phone
I will call any number
I will talk to anyone
I know I'm gone too far
Much too far I gone this time
And I don't want to think what I've done
I don't know how to stop
No, I don't know how to stop

There are always hidden silences
Waiting behind the chair
They come out when the coast is clear
They eat anything that moves
I go shaky at the knees
Lights go out, stars come down
Like a swarm of bees

No self-control
no self-control
No self-control
No self-control
No self-control
No self-control
No self-control
You know I hate to hurt you
I hate to see your pain
But I don't know how to stop
No, I don't know how to stop

Street after street
Night after night
I walk on through the rain
I walk on through the rain
I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop
No, I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop
I don't know how to stop


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The tragedy of the character is that he seems to be a victim of "hidden silences." I can only assume that silent moments are when things get unstable for this man. He doesn't know how to be alone. He eats when he knows he's had more than enough. He talks on the phone to any who will listen to keep himself from being taken over by what happens when he is alone in the silence.

He is guilt ridden because he knows what he ends up doing. He becomes a hunter of the night. when eh stars come out or on a dark rainy street he stalks for his prey, his next human victim. He wants to stop, but he feels helpless to do so. His mantric complaint echoes in his head, "I don't know how to stop! I don't know how to stop!"

We may not be serial killers, but I'll bet many of us do not know how to be alone in the silence. In the silence we have to encounter ourselves. In the silence our spiritual condition becomes apparent. We are hungry all the time, because we are trying to fill a spiritual hunger with food and snacks. We are busy all the time, because to slow down and pay attention to our inner life would mean having to admit that we are out of balance. We fill the air with music or leave the television running 24/7 because it keep the unwanted cycling of thoughts from driving us bonkers. We cannot sleep easily. Peace in evasive.

We run to doctors or yoga instructors or to psychotherapists to find help for our nagging anxieties and bodily aches and pains. But we don't know how to stop. The gate to life is narrow. It's easier to run the wide road to oblivion.

The New Testament shares a few instances when Jesus drove unclean spirits form tormented people. The most vivid is the story of the man who lived among the tombs.

From Mark 5:1-20:
1 They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes. 2 When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”

9 Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. 16 Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

18 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. 19 Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 20 So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.
Note that the demons in this tortured soul recognize Jesus for who He is, "Son of the Most High God!" In other stories the unclean spirits shout, "You are the Holy One of God!" The point is that unclean spirits, dark thoughts that plague our hearts and minds are terrified before the light of Christ.

Whatever your opinion is on the matter of demons or evil spirits, you can benefit yourself by also recognizing the power of and purity of the light of the world, Jesus Christ. Believe what demons know and fear. Jesus Christ is Lord! All powers are being put under His submission.

The brother of Jesus wrote...
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. (Jms 4:7-8a)
By coming near to God through faith in Jesus Christ, the light of the world fills you and drives out the darkness. By continuing the habit of turning to draw near to God in prayer you will discover the fruit of self-control coming to you.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Gal 5:22-23a)
In 1995 Andy Park of the Vineyard Church wrote In The Secret.  Let these lyrics be your prayer.

In the secret,
In the quiet place
In the stillness you are there.
In the secret, in the quiet hour I wait,
only for you
Because I want to know you more.

I want to know you
I want to hear your voice
I want to know you more
I want to touch you
I want to see your face
I want to know you more.

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment